Tuesday, February 10, 2015

A to Z: Cultural Perspectives in Education

Vaughan M. Blaney
Director,
TEFLA, BSc, BEd, MEd

Book: "A to Z: Cultural Perspectives in Education"

Introduction
Writing "A to Z: Cultural Perspectives in Education" was an absolutely rewarding and thoroughly enjoyable experience. I wished to write a book that would demonstrate the role of cultural perspectives in education.  Late one evening it 'all came together' for me.  As I thought - 'What does education mean to me?' - I realized it meant teaching and teaching meant students.  Yes students ... this was the direction I would take.  I would write and compile a book that would be of interest to students - to all students whether they be in elementary school or university.  From here the idea of 'A to Z' germinated; 'A to Z' the building blocks of communication that we first learn upon entering school.

For younger school children I have prepared - for each letter of the alphabet - a short four line poem that identifies how students may perceive their differences in a multicultural environment - be it the classroom or the community, followed with a list of how the children, despite their differences, are all similar.

To ensure that the book meets the interest of the university level students I have used 'A to Z' to aid them in searching out the names of researchers and famous individuals found in the field of 'culture and education'.  I have given quotations from their work which I hope students will find inspirational. 

The masterpiece illustrations were prepared by a grade 12 students at the time - Kim Seon Min.  Her art is truly inspirational!! Her talent is a wondrous gift.
-Vaughan M. Blaney

The Letter 'A'...

No comments:

Post a Comment